This authoritative and comprehensive collection surveys the breadth of Southern Gothic authors, from the paradigmatic Poe to the iconoclastic McCarthy, through the short story and novel to stage, cinema and television, taking in those unique and historical landmarks — slavery, voodoo, degeneration — that Southern Gothic has redefined and revitalised for a new century.
The editors have brought together a work of distinction: the Palgrave Handbook of the Southern Gothic will be an essential tool not merely for scholars of American writing, but also for any critic engaged in the serious study of this important literary tradition. Covering analyses of a range of diverse authors such as Edgar Allan Poe, Charles Chesnutt, Tennessee Williams and Eudora Welty and subjects such as New Orleans vampires, Caribbean Voodoo, slave revolts and racial passing , this book is vital reading for students and scholars of Gothic literature and culture.
The essays featured here cover an impressive and truly representative range of individual authors, topics, and themes, and combine to provide a truly panoramic and up-to-date survey of the Southern Gothic in its many manifestations. A work of deep and challenging scholarship, which will enlighten scholars of the Gothic and scholars of American history alike.
Shop by category
Book Authors Journal Authors. Free Preview. Buy eBook. Buy Softcover. FAQ Policy. Show all. I am looking for new angles and new subjects although traditional gothic areas will need revisiting through contemporary theories and insights. Word length is by arrangement, but should be between 6, and 10, words, so plenty of scope.follow
Edgar Allan Poe and the Southern Gothic
And there may be opportunity for illustrations. Please look below to see what areas I think need covering and add your own ideas if I have missed any. The deadline to signal your interest only is September 30 You do not have to suggest a topic. The final deadline for chapters will be no later than Spring , so lots of time.
- Human Law and Computer Law: Comparative Perspectives.
- Shop by category;
- Download The Palgrave Handbook Of The Southern Gothic;
- Mind of Winter.
If you know of others who might be interested doctoral students especially, but also colleagues then please pass on this information and direct them to me via this address. Please note: We will start at the end with volume three so that really contemporary issues may be tackled and new areas of research highlighted.
Please look carefully at the proposed topics and think about where you might contribute. As I say I am happy for any different suggestions.
The Palgrave Handbook of the Southern Gothic
Your email address will not be published. Notify me of follow-up comments by email.
- ACT! 2006 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer Tech))?
- Lonely Planet Bolivia (Country Travel Guide).
- Publisher Description;
- The Making of Modern America: The Nation from 1945 to the Present.
- Southern hauntings : Kate Chopin's Gothic - Kingston University Research Repository?
- Raven Mask (Kassandra Lyall Preternatural Investigator, Book 2).
- Exchange Discount Summary.
Notify me of new posts by email. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam.
Gothic Palgrave Handbook – Expressions of interest | Open Graves, Open Minds
Learn how your comment data is processed. Open Graves, Open Minds. In the Open Graves, Open Minds Project, we unearthed depictions of the vampire and the undead in literature, art, and other media, before embracing shapeshifters and other supernatural beings and their worlds.
- Download The Palgrave Handbook Of The Southern Gothic?
- Agnieszka Soltysik Monnet!
- A Dance At The Slaughterhouse (Matthew Scudder, Book 9);
- Southern Gothic Literature - Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Literature.
- Sounding the Troposphere from Space: A New Era for Atmospheric Chemistry.
- Savage Cinema: Sam Peckinpah and the Rise of Ultraviolent Movies.
- Gothic Palgrave Handbook – Expressions of interest!
OGOM opens up questions concerning genre, gender, hybridity, cultural change, and other realms. The Project extends to all narratives of the fantastic, the folkloric, the fabulous, and the magical.